About Richard Davidson at Poole Tutor
Richard Davidson (Poole Tutor) was born in Oakdale and grew up locally. He studied at Poole Grammar School, passed ten GCSEs, and then continued onto three A levels in Geology, Chemistry and Zoology.
Taking up a place to read Geology and Astronomy at the University of Leicester, he gained a BSc (Honours) degree, mapping the rocks of the Purbecks as one of his projects.
He then went on to a year’s Postgraduate Certificate in Education; qualifying as a teacher at Roehampton Institute of Higher Education, Surrey.
Richard took up a post as a class teacher at a state middle school, Malmesbury, in Morden, Surrey. He taught classes from year four to seven and was the science coordinator. He escorted year seven pupils to a number of field trips in South Wales. Moving on to five years in a small family-run private school in Tooting, London, he was able to enjoy more say in the organization of the school, and teach smaller but mixed – aged classes.
During these years, he also worked as a private tutor, teaching mainly Maths, English and Science to secondary school age. Much tuition was focused on the eleven – plus entrance exams for local schools.
Moving back to Poole he established a Saturday School in Charminster and quickly built up a full week of home tutoring.
Completing a course in foreign language teaching, enabled Richard to broaden still further his teaching experience at BBSI Language School, where he prepared foreign students for their engineering university courses,
Richard’s father, Derek, has run a flying school from Bournemouth Airport for nearly forty years. With over thirty hours at the controls of light aircraft, he then moved on to teaching Aviation English to Omani Military Air cadets and Airline Transport trainee pilots from the UAE.
Moving on to an ongoing post at MLS International College, he continued for the last three years with helping Air Traffic Controllers from Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and currently Turkey, to improve their comprehension and broaden their use of English, particularly in non – routine situations.
During this time, he also worked with the Brethren Christians, who bring in freelance teachers for their schools. Working both in Poole and Southampton, Richard taught 11 to 16 year olds science and citizenship.
Over the last eleven years, Richard has now built the tuition side up considerably, and most recently (as of September 2015), has opened the tuition centre on Alder Road making this his sole occupation.
11+ Grammar school passes
- Sasha Davidson 335
- Harry Bakewell 353
- Helena 365
- Anya Emmanuel 308
- Lola 312
- Hila 335
- Erik 342
- Patryk 345
- Milly 304
- Aarya 344
- Anya F 349
- Tanisha 310
- Lily Brown 298
- Shivani 358
- Christian 310
- Dillon 302
- Constance 350
- Harry Lee 365
- Samuel 325
- Joe 337
- Thomas 357
- Shahid 342
- Emily H 286
- Miles 300
- Shannen 323, Charlie T 327, Mia Ann 318
- Daniel S 322, Lily 348, Olivier P 359
- Anna, Aiofe 337, Lily 348, Sienna 338
- Christina, Uha 331, Pola 325, Merin 320
- Josh 321, Tinaye 321, Shaun 337, Szymon
- Leanne 345, Nivva 341, Elodie 364
- Freya G, Kashika 350, Olivia G 332
- Callum 359, Harvey 310, Shalini 312
- Phoenix 338, Cohan, Nadia 320, Richard 346
- Harry 353, Leyla 332, Jack H 360
- Ruby R 304, Leah 343, Ben B 340
- Ryan 309, Bethany 320, Millie S 317
- Millie H 312, Maddelena 306, Abbie E 313
- Samuel JT, Mayank 325, Poppy 299
- Annaleise 355, Ciaran 355, Yash 342
- Ethan 380, Sarah 360, Sophia Aq 330
- Chloe M 299, deShawn 306
- Emily T 337, Harry 310, Katie 360
- Eva 331, Cian 386, Nicholas, Nell 305
- Muhammed 333, Onyi 322, Gemma S 330
- Amellia 337, Anna 314, Sam J 311
- Ben J 357, Ella 360, Dillan 312
- Sapphire 288, Grace 319, Angelina 294
- Annissa, Emily K, Jessica 306
- George 317, Beth 312, Ianthe 372
- Kefal, Erin 335, Isabelle, Kiyomi
- Thomas, Emilia, Premath
- Sam, James
Poole Tutor has really help our daughter. Thank you again for your help, especially in maths which she now loves 🙂
Madina had highest end of year test result in the class and one the best out of two in whole year, despite having many interruptions because of her illness.